at this page you can find informations about the Double-Degree-Program Rostock – Madrid for the 3-semester Master course Electrical Engineering.
With the completion of a Double Degree agreement, the years of excellent partnership between the IEF / Institute for Telecommunications and the Universidad Politécnica de Madrid / Spain were further expanded. Now it is possible for the students, to pass the Master course program of both universities. After a successful completion of the Double-Degree-Program they receive the Master Degree from both universities.
- Master's Degree of two universities from different countries
- advantages at the German and European labour market
- mutual recognition of passed modules
- more opportunities for specialization because of different focuses of study programs
- broad-based knowledge because of greater range of subjects
- use of the resources at both universities
- semester abroad within the normal period of study
- international experience
- application and deepening of knowledge of foreign languages, additional language courses on site
- exemption from tuition fees at the partner university
- Faculty of Computer Science and Electrical Engineering of the University of Rostock, Germany (UR)
- E.T.S. de Ingeniería y Sistemas de Telecomunicación der Universidad Politécnica de Madrid, Spain (UPM)
- UR: Students of the 3-semester Master's program in Electrical Engineering (3-semester Master's program „Elektrotechnik“)
- UPM: Students of MSc. Program in Systems and Services Engineering for the Information Society
- UR: Master of Science (in the 3-semester Master's program in Electrical Engineering)
- UPM: Máster Universitario en Ingeniería de Sistemas y Servicios para la Sociedad de la Información (MSc. in Systems and Services Engineering for the Information Society)
- UR & UPM: English (language level B1 required)
- In order to promote cultural integration, host universities will offer elective foreign language courses, Spanish at UPM and German at UR, for exchange students.
- 3 semester (90 ECTS including the Master Thesis)
(UR single Master: 3 semester, 90 ECTS including the Master Thesis)
(UPM single Master: 2 semester, 60 ECTS including the Master Thesis)
- The master thesis can be supervised jointly by lecturers of both institutions.
Students of UR:
- 30 ECTS at UR (1 semester) and 30 ECTS at UPM (1 semester: recommended at autumn term)
- the remaining 30 ECTS (1 semester) can be completed at UR and/or UPM (completely at one university or divided up at both universities)
- For students from UR, modules of UPM are credited with 6 ECTS in order to match the course structure of UR.
Students of UPM:
- 60 ECTS at UPM (2 semester) and 30 ECTS at UR (1 semester: recommended at summer semester)
Due to the slightly different study periods, the following exchange schedule is recommended:
- The M.Sc. program in Electrical Engineering is organized in three semesters (90 ECTS) and can be started in the winter as well as the summer semester.
- winter semester Oktober – März (examination period February – March)
- summer semester April – September (examination period July – September)
- Students of UR shall stay at UPM during the autumn term. They can attend their exams of the preceding summer semester at UR until end of August and study at UPM from September to January. With this schedule, they will be back at UR in February and can repeat missed or failed examinations.
- The MSc. Programme in Systems and Services Engineering for the Information Society at UPM is organized in two semesters (60 ECTS) and can be startet in the autumn term only.
- autumn term September – January (examination period January)
- spring term February – August (examination period June)
- Students of UPM shall stay at UR during the summer semester. If they pass all exams not later than end of August, they can continue the program at UPM in the following autumn term.
Dr.-Ing. Henryk Richter
University of Rostock
Institute of Communications Engineering
D-18119 Rostock, Germany
School of Telecommunications Systems and Engineering, Technical University of Madrid (ETSIST-UPM)
External Relations and Students
Subdirección de Relaciones Externas y Alumnos
ETS DE INGENIERÍA Y SISTEMAS DE TELECOMUNICACIÓN
UNIVERSIDAD POLITÉCNICA DE MADRID
Campus Sur. Ctra. de Valencia, km. 7
28031 MADRID, Spain
fon: +34 91 336 77 74/92
fax: +34 91 331 92 29
To apply for the Double-Degree-Program students have to fulfill the requirements of the hosting university.
Requirements at UR and at UPM:
- Bachelor of Electrical Engineering or equivalent degree
- Language skills in English at level B1
- Application in English to the exchange agreement coordinator of the home university.
- What should contain the application?
- Cover letter
- Bachelor certificate (copy)
- Certificate of language level (copy)
- When to present the applications?
- Students of UR for a visit at UPM:
- For a visit at UPM in Autumn the receive of documents and the nomination are required latest until 10th of June.
- For a visit at UPM in Spring the receive of documents and the nomination are required latest until 1st of December.
- Recommendation: Please submit the documents at least four weeks before the date!
- Students of UR for a visit at UPM:
- The home university will pre-select the candidates (nomination). Only students having sufficient scientific, personal and language skills will be selected.
- Applications need to be approved by the hosting university.
- Students will be admitted on a full-time basis to both master programms, according to each university’s prevailing admission criteria and the corresponding regulations.
- For the international students of the Double-Degree-Program is a mentoring program offered.
- The visiting students will have access to all the study resources available to students of both institutions.
- Students are required to follow the rules and regulations of both UPM and UR master candidates, including the conditions for continuation, withdrawal and termination of master studies.
- Throughout the study period in the host establishment, the visiting student is subject to the administrative and academic regulations of the host institution.
- Students have to pass all mandatory modules of their home university. Equivalent modules of the host university according to the table at annex can be chosen alternatively. In all other cases, an individual decision about the replacement of a mandatory module has to be drawn by responsible authorities.
- If a student wishes to leave the master Double-Degree-Program he/she will be free to pursue a regular degree at either university, provided that existing regulations permit it.
- Students continue to pay tuition and registration fees in their home institution.
- No tuition fees are paid to the host institution.
- Registration fees will be paid at both institutions when required by the institution regulations.
- At UR, international students will, like all German students, pay the registration fee (not equivalent to a tuition fee!), which includes a contribution to the student parliament and a semester ticket for public transportation in Rostock.
Between the UPM and the UR exists an ERASMUS partnership. Additionally to the international BAföG (Auslands-BAföG) you can use the resources of of the ERASMUS program.
- Visiting students are responsible for obtaining sufficient health insurance, including medical evacuation and repatriation.
- Furthermore students should take out a personal accident and liability insurance.
- The host institution may require the visiting student to present insurance papers covering individual responsibility and medical insurance.
The following catalogue defines the sets of modules visiting students can choose from. UPM and UR guarantee to accept ECTS points achieved for modules from these lists. The catalogue is split into two parts: The first part contains pairs of modules from UR and UPM with equivalent content. Only one module of a pair can be selected. The second part contains modules being offered exclusively from UR or UPM and can be selected independent of remaining choices.
- UR: Image / Video Processing and Coding (Winter)
UPM: Advanced Audio/Video Coding (Spring)
- UR: Digital Signal Processing (Winter)
UPM: Audio and video signal processing (Autumn)
- UR: Mobile Radio Communications (Winter)
UPM: Digital Signal Processing for Communications (Spring)
- UR: Advanced VLSI Design (Summer)
UPM: Advanced digital architectures (Autumn)
- UR: Embedded Multi-Processor Systems (Summer)
UPM: Embedded Systems (Spring)
- Advanced Virtual Instrumentation Systems (Spring)
- Protocols and Services Engineering* (Spring)
- Telematic Services for the Information Society* (Spring)
- Signal Recognition (Spring)
- Advanced Research Seminars II (Spring)
- Wireless communications (Autumn)
- Advanced Research Seminars I (Autumn)
- Data modeling and analysis in engineering (Autumn)
- Ubiquitous and secure networks and services* (Spring)
- ICT and the information society* (Autumn)
- ICT management in organizations* (Autumn)
- RF Design (Spring)
* intended Modules
- Selected Topics in Audio Signal Processing (Winter)
- Selected Topics in Embedded Systems Design (Winter)
- Error Control Coding (Winter)
- Project Seminar Embedded Systems (Winter and Summer *1)
- Selected Topics in VLSI Design (Winter)
- Programmable Integrated Circuits (Winter and Summer *2)
- Interface-Electronics and Integrated Circuit Design (Winter and Summer *2)
- Advanced Topics in Digital Communications (Summer)
- Nature-Inspired Computing (Summer)
- Project Seminar Radio Communication (Summer)
- Project Seminar Virtual Acoustics (Summer)
- Network Embedded Systems (Summer)
- Radio Navigation and Radar (Summer)
*1 Module lasts 1 semester and is offered in each semester.
*2 Module lasts 2 semesters.
- Double-Degree-Agreement between University of Rostock (UR) and Universidad Politécnica de Madrid (UPM) Madrid, Spain (PDF, in Englisch)
- Universidad Politécnica de Madrid (Homepage in Englisch)
- Escuela Técnica Superior de Ingeniería y Sistemas de Telecomunicación (Homepage in Englisch)